Flight of Fancy




Each gulp of beer goes down smoother than the last.

I can feel myself sinking into the chair. The inertia of exhaustion setting in. There was a day of ladders and the hot sun, five gallon buckets and roller frames.

Hard work is what I need sometimes. Something to take the mind off of the rest of it.

I take another drink of the beer and remember last night.

Arm in arm with her. Watching movie, and then she has to leave. I never want her to leave. And even though I told her I would go to sleep I had to walk for a while to make the mind shut down.

I walk the streets of Capitol Hill and see people on their bikes with swords made of aluminium foil, and helmets, and shields to boot. It is some kind of game, some kind of whimsy that is organized and amazingly fun to watch. There has been rain recently so the sidewalks have puddles and all the lawns smell of fresh earth. I am alone tonight, but I don't feel so alone. I know that there is a life waiting for me no matter what turn this moment takes.

Just moments ago you were in my arms. You face half lit by the light of the lamp, the perfect scene for a movie about love and romance. And your eyes, they blazed so perfect, so deep, so full.

I know what you want.

Or at least I think I do.

And no matter what happens...

...File under Virtue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No thinking. You know. You always know. Te amo mucho.